The Movement Strategy & Governance team at the Wikimedia Foundation supports the Movement Strategy 2030. After years of co-creation through a wide community process, it is time to focus on implementing the strategy recommendations. The Movement Strategy Implementation Specialist supports Wikimedia volunteers and affiliates involved in the implementation of Movement Strategy (MS) initiatives. In this role, you will put special attention in supporting small communities and underrepresented groups. Join our team and help the Wikimedia movement implement their strategy!
You are responsible for:
- Developing a deep understanding of the Movement Strategy initiative areas to develop a map of ongoing and potential implementation programs;
- Building connections between groups and individuals with shared interests on implementation plans;
- Responding to enquiries from affiliates and volunteers interested in getting involved in Movement Strategy initiatives;
- Proactively meeting affiliates and volunteers from emerging communities and underrepresented groups to understand their needs and inform them about opportunities to participate;
- Identifying opportunities for community collaboration with Foundation teams involved in MS implementation;
- Helping affiliates and volunteers applying for Movement Strategy grants, training, or other types of support;
- Managing the full cycle of the small grants approved by our team (review, approval, support, and report and working with community resources and grants admin teams);
- Collaborating with the Community Resources team in the creation and oversight of the larger MS grants strategy and program;
- Proposing improvements to our communications and processes to better support the needs of affiliates and volunteers involved in MS implementation;
- Other duties as assigned.
Skills and Experience:
- Experience in project management, budget planning, and preparation of grants applications.
- Strong communicator, able to inform volunteers with different backgrounds and levels of involvement.
- Basic experience participating in or working with non-profit organizations in Africa, Asia, Eastern Europe or Latin America.
- Professional proficiency in written and spoken English.
- Fluency in a language other than English.
- Work well across different departments and teams to manage cross departmental activities.
- Approachable, collaborative, and able to build trust with volunteers and staff.
- Experienced user of online communication and social media tools.
- Self-motivated – you will frequently need to organize your own tasks with little supervision, but in coordination with the rest of the team.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Flexibility to meet people in multiple time zones.
Additionally, we’d love it if you have:
- Experience participating in the Wikimedia Strategy or similar processes.
- Experience contributing to Wikimedia projects.